Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Homemade Suckers

One of my favorite things helping my Mom make as a little kid was her homemade suckers. They were my favorite and so fun to watch her make. Well I still love making them and so do my little girls. We have a little sucker business as Baylee likes to call it. During the warmer months we make suckers and sell them to the kids in the neighborhood. Our neighbors love them and ask all the time when we're making more.
My job is to make the candy. Call me crazy but I just don't like the girls around the hot syrup. Baylee and Brinley's job is to get all the sucker molds set up. Rylee likes to help too but usually she is off in the corner with a sucker she in not suppose to be eating.
We have scouted the valley out for all different kinds of flavors and coloring. Banana Creme is my favorite, but the girls love Cotton Candy and Bubble gum.
It usually takes us about 5 hours to make 155 suckers (the syrup takes awhile to boil). I have two batches going at the same time. What takes the most time is the clean up. I have to scrape sucker syrup off my stove top.
We then head outside to start selling. We are usually sold out in an hour. The girls make about $45.00 each time we sell them. They have been putting all the money in their savings. They have to pay me first for the ingredients but that is usually only about $5.00.
It's been a fun little business for us. We even have people come by for custom orders. Some people even ask us if this is job security. They say there is something wrong with the dentist's wife and kids selling suckers. I just smile at them and tell them to eat up and then hand them a business card!
Only kidding about the business card. I just have fun making them!!

4 comments:

Ashley Bennion said...

That is awesome - I love it!!!

Jessica said...

How did you make that poster???

Kristie said...

Sad to say that I have never made them myself but I grew up "helping" my mom do it every year too.

Melanie Fiuza said...

I used to make them when I was in junior high, made quite a bit of money. I bet its fun to do with your girls!