Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Pumpkin Pickin'

We have really enjoyed having our backyard finished this year. Dan and my Dad worked very hard putting our yard in and I have to say they did a great job. We love having grass to run around on, the girls love their new swing set, Dan loves the water fountain he made and my favorite is having a garden.
I love the fresh veggies you get from having a garden. We decided to grow our own pumpkins this year and they took over the garden. The vines were growing half way down our patio. We also had tons of tomatoes and zucchini. We tried watermelon, green peppers, and squash too but didn't have a big success with them.
At the beginning of October we had cold weather and most of our plants in the garden froze, so it was time to clean it out and pick the pumpkins. Rylee was Dan's little helper. She was bossing him around telling him to pick the pumpkins faster.

We ended up with 12 pumpkins. We thought we only had 10 but as we were cleaning up the garden we found 2 more hidden in the mass of vines. Most of them were still green, but they quickly turned orange as the weather warmed up again.
Dan gave Rylee the job of picking tomatoes. She loved it. Our tomatoes were mouth watering. I would eat one almost every night with a little salt and pepper--yummy!!
Rylee found that the zucchini was quite entertaining. She kept "calling" us. She was on the other end of the patio and kept yelling, "hello, hello are you there". She would call Grandma, her friend Hudson, Grandpa, and then Daddy...
To her surprise, Daddy answered and they had a great conversation over the zucchini. It was fun entertainment!
Our zucchini was a huge success. I made zucchini bread for 2 months and just kept giving it away and freezing some. My good friend Jami gave me a great recipe that freezes well. We just pull out a loaf when we want some more. We'll get to enjoy it all winter long.
It's seemed like the vines never ended. They just kept going, and going, and going...
It was fun to say that we grew our own pumpkins this year. Although I do love the pictures you get at the pumpkin patch. O-well, sometimes it's good to mix things up a bit. I think our pumpkins looked great in our yard!

4 comments:

Nikol said...

You guys are so cute! I love the pumpkins and suckers and camping - it makes me happy to see :)

Kristie said...

Fun! I would love to have a garden!! You're going to be known as the lady who has a zillion pumpkins every Halloween. I think I need to go make some bread right now...that looked so good!

Jessica said...

There is NOTHING better than a Utah-garden grown tomato. The ones in Oregon don't come close! Have one for me!

Anonymous said...

I love your back yard! It is beautiful! Way to go Dan!!!